Extreme Driving Conditions: Rain, Fog and Winter Weather
The weather can be unpredictable and can create extremely hazardous conditions on the road. These extreme conditions make driving dangerous and require special safety precautions. Your safety is important, so whether you drive on company time or simply during your commute, observe these safety tips when driving turns difficult.
Rain and Thunderstorms
- Turn your headlights, wipers and Fog demister on to increase visibility.
- Drive in the tracks of the vehicle ahead of you and reduce your speed.
- Allow increased space between your vehicle and others, and leave extra time to stop.
- If you begin to aquaplane, hold the steering wheel straight and remove your foot from the accelerator.
- If you are caught in a thunderstorm, pull off the road in an open area and away from trees (to avoid a lightning strike).Winter Weather
- Always remove ice and snow from your windows, bonnet and headlights before departing.
- Drive with extreme caution and at slow speeds. You will need 3 to 12 times the amount of stopping distance than you need without precipitation.